[R-sig-Geo] Very basic figure question

Henk Sierdsema Henk.Sierdsema at sovon.nl
Fri Oct 16 16:19:02 CEST 2009

Hi Rob,

You could start with the maps available within R. Here is some text taken from page 88-89 from the ASDAR-book:
" It is often attractive to make use of the spatial databases in the maps (comm: and also the mapdata) package. They can be converted to sp class objects using functions such as map2SpatialPolygons in the maptools package. An alternative source of coastlines is the Rgshhs function in maptools, interfacing binary databases of varying resolution distributed by the 'Global Self-consistent, Hierarchical, High-resolution Shoreline Database' project.1212 http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/gshhs/gshhs.html.4.2 <http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/gshhs/gshhs.html.4.2>  Vector File Formats 89. The best resolution databases are rather large, and so maptools ships only with the coarse resolution one; users can install and use higher resolution databases locally. Figures 2.3 and 2.7, among others in earlier chapters, have been made using these sources."

Alternatively you could make use of the maps provided through the FAO  (http://www.fao.org/geonetwork/srv/en/main.home <http://www.fao.org/geonetwork/srv/en/main.home>  ). Here you can download for example shorelines and a basic map with country borders (but good enough for reference purposes).

Henk

Henk Sierdsema

SOVON Vogelonderzoek Nederland / SOVON Dutch Centre for Field Ornithology

Rijksstraatweg 178
6573 DG  Beek-Ubbergen
The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)24 6848145