[R-sig-Geo] select a row in a data.frame

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Wed Oct 14 02:55:33 CEST 2009

Hi Gianni,

First the chide, you are asking a general (very beginner) R question on
the Geospatial Special Interest Group mailing list, which isn't the
right list for your question. The closest to the correct list is R-Help,
but this is really something one learns from books on R, which there are
a number of, and often available in online in PDF (start with An
Introduction to R, http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.pdf).

Now the answer to your question:

BestResult_R <- newData[newData$result == max(newData$result), ]

Dan Putler

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 16:59 -0700, gianni lavaredo wrote:
> thanks for help,
>
> I have a data.frame "newData" with 7 columns and 91 rows. i wish to find the
> row in the second column "X" with the max value and save all 7 values (=all
> columns) in a new data.frame
>
>  # max value result for row
>  Max.Result <- max(newData$result)
>  select the row with the max value
>  row <- which(Max.Result  == max(Max.Result ))
>  BestResult_R <- newData[row,]
>
> but I have a same problems to set right the code.
>
> thanks
>
> Gianni
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dan Putler