[R-sig-Geo] location points that span UTM zones

Glover, Tim NTGLOVER at mactec.com
Thu Oct 8 18:42:35 CEST 2009

UTM projects a spherical globe onto a cylinder.  Zones are chosen to
achieve a certain level of accuracy of distances between points.  This
accuracy decreases as you stray from the zone, but is not too bad as
long as you're not too far past the edges of the zone.  "Too bad" and
"too far" are inter-dependent and also depend on your uses of the data.
If you need cm-size accuracy, you don't want to extend half-way into the
next zone, for instance. There is a mathematical relationship between
accuracy and distance from the central meridian of the zone.

Tim Glover
Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry
Geoscience Department Atlanta Area
MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
Office 770-421-3310