[R-sig-Geo] how to test for effect of spatial scale

Maurizio Mencuccini maurizio at staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Sat Oct 3 00:32:25 CEST 2009

Hi there,

I have a dataset consisting of measurements of tree size taken in more
than 200 forest plots along a regular grid within a forest. For each
plot, i can build summary statistics such as frequency distributions of
such characters (e.g., height, diameters, etc).
I have the expectation that such distribution would conform to a
theoretical distribution at a very large spatial scale and indeed if I
aggregate all data for all plots, my empirical curve fits the expected
curve rather well.
My objective is to detect at what spatial scale would such a theoretical
prediction begin to break down, i.e., if I begin to disaggregate the
data to include all the (n-1) plots close to each other, all the (n-2),
etc., down to statistics collected independently for each plot, when
does the mean distribution calculated for all possible combinations at
that scale begin to depart significantly from the expected curve.
I cannot figure out how to approach the problem. It is not point
pattern, nor does it seem to be geostatistics (building a semi variogram
would help but only partially). The question is really about data
aggregation at different spatial scales for plots that are close to each
other.

Any help appreciated.

thanks
Maurizio Mencuccini
school of Geosciences
University of Edinburgh (UK)

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.