[R-sig-Geo] bbox 4-dimensional objects - suitable method?

Torleif Markussen Lunde torleif.lunde at cih.uib.no
Mon Nov 23 15:57:32 CET 2009

Hi Edzer

Thanks for a good answer. I did read the asdar-book, and especially the
section on time grids. I guess the book (together with the sp source) is a
must when dealing with the sp-classes.

As far as I understand this means that in SpatialTimeGridDataFrame coordinates
and time has to be stored several times. That is my main motivation to define a
new class. Let's take one example where one has a structure similar to
SpatialPointsDataFrame, while the other has a structure of Spatial3dArray.

## SpatialPointsDataFrame ##
# (since it takes a long time to convert it to a sppdf, this is omitted)

# Create coordinates
long2 <- seq(35, 48, length.out = 146)
lat2 <- seq(2, 15, length.out = 188)
long <- matrix(long2, length(long2), length(lat2), byrow = FALSE)
lat <- matrix(lat2, length(long2), length(lat2), byrow = TRUE)
long3 <- rep(c(long), 504)
lat3 <- rep(c(lat), 504)
ptc.coord <- cbind(x = long3, y=lat3)

# Create data variable
z <- seq(1, 10000, length.out = dim(ptc.coord)[1])

# Create time
tm <- rep(seq(as.POSIXct("2002-01-01 06:00:00"),
	  as.POSIXct("2002-01-22 06:00:00"),
	  length.out = 504), each = dim(long)[1]*dim(long)[2])

# make data.frame
dummy <- as.data.frame(cbind(ptc.coord, z, tm))
# do not run:
# system.time(coordinates(dummy)=~x+y+tm)

# What is the object size?
objs <- object.size(dummy)
print(objs, quote = FALSE, units = "Mb")
## end spatial points ##

## Spatial3dArray ##

# arrange z as an array
array.data <- array(z, c(length(long2), length(lat2), 504))
# create a time vector
tm2 <- seq(as.POSIXct("2002-01-01 06:00:00"),
	  as.POSIXct("2002-01-22 06:00:00"),
	  length.out = 504)

x <- new("Spatial3dArray",
	  data = array.data,
	  coords = list(long=long, lat=lat),
	  bbox = matrix(c(min(long),
			  min(lat),
			  max(long),
			  max(lat)), 2, 2,
	  dimnames = list(c("long", "lat"), c("min","max"))),
	  time = as.character(tm2),
	  btime = c("2002-01-01 06:00:00",
			   "2002-01-22 06:00:00"))

dimnames(slot(x, "data"))=list(NULL,
				NULL,
				slot(x, "time"))

objs2 <- object.size(x)
print(objs2, quote = FALSE, units = "Mb")

## end Spatial3dArray ##

So, I think it makes sense to have other classes when dealing with time data
with a certain dimension. Agree?

I have already rewritten overlay, summary, and added spmean, spmax, and spmin
(with options on which dimensions the method should be applied over). In
addition binding methods (sp3dAbind equal to cbind for data.frames. Will also
introduce timeBind, or similar) has been introduced.

Best wishes
Torleif