[R-sig-Geo] Map labels

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Mon Nov 23 14:41:18 CET 2009

Hello all:

Thanks to all your earlier help, I'm now using spplot to generate a map
of about 400 polygons representing about 40 different towns.  In
addition to being able to color the polygons, I would like to label the
plots with a number or the town name.

Being near the water, there are lots of islands, so each town is
represented by a bunch of polygons.  How do I select only one to be
labeled, and is there a convention for which one would be the best to
use?  I see the labpt slot, in my SpatialPolygonsDataFrame object, but I
don't see a mostAppropriateLabpt or primaryLabpt or anything like that.

In addition to this, I get no errors when I follow the examples at
http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/gallery/ , but I see no labels, either.

This is what I'm doing.  Are the colors covering my labels?

  spplot(rep.map,zcol="vote02",at=breaks,col.regions=rg,
        layout=list(list("sp.text",getSpPPolygonsLabptSlots(rep.map)[25,],"HERE I AM")))

Many thanks,

 -tom