[R-sig-Geo] Lambert projection to lat/long question....

Blair Christian blair.christian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:39:15 CET 2009

Hi All,

Before trying to reinvent the wheel, I was wondering if the mapproj or
any other library had code to take lambert coordinates (along with the
parameters used to generate them) and convert them to lat long.  I
have grid data in lambert coords, and want to generate the long/lat
grid corners from them.  I noticed mapproj goes long/lat ->
projection, but couldn't find anything to go the other way.  I was
going to use the reference in wolfram mathworld to do the inverse
transform, if anybody has any issues with their version.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LambertConformalConicProjection.html

Basically, I want to keep the data stored as grids, but every now and
then I want to create distance matrices or plot them (which I
currently do with an irregular grid class I made up), but don't want
to store polygons all the time when I can just store the basic grid.
All comments welcome.

Thanks,
Blair