[R-sig-Geo] thinning a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame

Pinaud David pinaud at cebc.cnrs.fr
Wed Nov 18 15:29:53 CET 2009

Hi Michael,
maybe you should try the function dp() in the package shapefiles that is
an implementation of the Douglas-Peucker polyLine simplification algorithm.
HTH
David

Michael Friendly a écrit :
> The Guerry package contains two maps of france (gfrance, gfrance85)
> which are quite detailed and large in size (~900K).
> In writing a vignette for the package, there are quite a few figures
> that use the map multiple times in a layout, and
> consequently result in huge file sizes for the .PDF files created.
> For these purposes, the map need not be nearly
> so detailed.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a facility to "thin" the map by drawing it
> at a lower density of lines in the polygon regions.
> When I was working with SAS, there was a GREDUCE procedure that did
> this nicely.
>
> thanks,
> -Michael

David PINAUD
Ingénieur de Recherche "Analyses spatiales"

Centre d'Etudes Biologiques de Chizé - CNRS UPR1934
79360 Villiers-en-Bois, France
poste 485
Tel: +33 (0)5.49.09.35.58
Fax: +33 (0)5.49.09.65.26