[R-sig-Geo] 'LDLfactor' error in 'krige' function

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Tue Nov 17 11:58:26 CET 2009

Hi Paul, Edzer,

I understand why the singular matrix problem happens and I know that there is not really a
mathematical solution around it:

> x <- matrix(runif(100), nrow=10)
> x.i <- solve(x)
> str(x.i)
 num [1:10, 1:10] 0.8191 -1.0293 0.0826 1.068 -0.2106 ...
# add a 'singular' column
> x[,1:10] <- rep(1, 10)
> x.i <- solve(x)
Error in solve.default(x) :
  Lapack routine dgesv: system is exactly singular

However, I would very much support if you would integrate an "if" loop to check if it will happen,
and then mask the prediction location using "NA".

I mean, at the moment every time we want to run predictions, even if only at a single prediction
location the model fails, we are not able to generate any output (this is sometimes really
frustrating).

Hence, I would support that you allow us to run predictions for all locations first, and then let
the users judge if one should increase the search radius, remove some too-uniform predictors etc
etc.

I hope you agree with me,

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/