[R-sig-Geo] 'LDLfactor' error in 'krige' function

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue Nov 17 09:22:43 CET 2009

Mauricio Zambrano wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> During some OK interpolations of daily precipitation, with the
> 'automap' library, I got the following error:
>

> [using ordinary kriging]
> "chfactor.c", line 130: singular matrix in function LDLfactor()
> Error en predict.gstat(g, newdata = newdata, block = block, nsim = nsim,  :
>   LDLfactor
>

> The code I'm using works fine for other days, so I assume that the
> distance between the measurement points is no the problem. When
> looking at the data that rose the error, I realized that all the
> measured values were equal to zero (I can not skip those days in which
> all the measured points have the same value in advance, because the
> measured value in those points change with time).
>
> According to a traceback that is given below, it seems that the cause
> is in the 'predict.gstat' function of the 'gstat' package.
>
> The same error can be risen with:
>
> # Data preparation
> data(meuse)
> coordinates(meuse) =~ x+y
> data(meuse.grid)
> gridded(meuse.grid) =~ x+y
>
> meuse$zinc <- meuse$zinc*0
> meuse$zinc

Try to check before running the interpolation if all the observations
are zero. If this is the case, then instead of kriging return a grid
where all the values are constant. Most probably this only occurs with
all zeros and with e.g. all 4.67. To check if all data is the same use a
cod structure like:

if(length(unique(meuse$zinc)) != 1) {
    autoKrige
} else {
    return grid with only zeros (or another value is that is constant
}

cheers,
Paul

--