[R-sig-Geo] newbie questions - maps

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon Nov 16 16:26:12 CET 2009

Ashton Shortridge wrote:
> On Monday 16 November 2009 08:53:03 Carson Farmer wrote:
>
>>> ... In addition, I use linux (Debian) and the desktop GIS tools that
>>> I tried (svSig, Qgis, and some more) did not provide publication quality
>>> maps.
>>>
>> I would strongly suggest you take another look at some of these
>> packages (especially QGIS).
>> These are relatively young projects, and are growing (changing)
>> quickly. For example, just
>> recently, some very advanced symbology enhancements have been made to
>> the QGIS project,
>> and will likely be available in the next release (due out next month).
>> Though of course, for graphs
>> and other statistical outputs, nothing beats R!
>>
>> Carson

Let me stress that I like qgis very much. Only at the time I tried to
make pub. quality maps with qgis (using version 0.9-2) it could not
export these kind pub. quality maps. Maybe now, or in the close future,
qgis or other open source tools will support pub. quality maps. I would
like that, being able to just take the north arrow and drag and drop it
would be much better than specifying the spatial coordinates. So for me
R was the best solution at the time (the only btw), but qgis might be a
better alternative in the future. But not yet (please correct me if I'm
wrong).

cheers,
Paul

--