[R-sig-Geo] newbie questions

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Mon Nov 16 05:27:57 CET 2009

tom sgouros <tomfool at as220.org> wrote:

> Dan Putler <dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca> wrote:

> > Er, what exactly is your data? Do you have data that is linked to zip
> > codes and you want to do a "thematic" (choropleth) map of the data? Do
> > you have point data (say a lat/lon values), and want to plot the points?
> > Given what you've said, hard to figure out how to get you going in the
> > right direction.
>
> The data is mostly from past elections, so it's vote totals or
> demographic data within some district.

I should have also said that I have both SHP files and E00 files to
describe the boundaries of the districts, but have no feeling about
which I should prefer or why and I wonder if anyone else does.  The SHP
files come with an XML description that seems not to be used by grass.
The E00 files maybe come with a description of their own projection,
while I had to identify a projection to specify it to grass, but
otherwise I don't know why one would be better or worse.

Thanks,

 -tom