[R-sig-Geo] 3d-Shapefile in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Nov 13 11:06:40 CET 2009

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Siber Rosi wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I would like to have the z-values of a river shapefile in R (sp). So
> that I have at the end a list of x,y and z-coordinates, for which I do
> further analysis.

> Is there a way of importing a 3d-shapefile direct in R?

Yes, but only for points. The objects used to represent lines and polygons
are 2D. To move forward, a Line3D representation with downstream Lines3D
and SpatialLines3D classes would be needed. However, analysis on 3D lines
may be hard to do - so something more like GPX track_points might be more
useful, or the representation of sequences of points from the trip or
adehabitat (ltraj class) packages. Just being able to read the data is
only the first step, finding an adequate representation with convenient
analysis tools is probably harder.

Using the Z dimension in shapefiles is arguably not a portable way of
representing this, using points with a constant lineID and sequence
numbers increasing downstream, with elevation at the points, may be easier
to handle. (Untried) Convert to say GPX and read as track_points, trying
to retain the necessary attributes.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no