[R-sig-Geo] sample.Spatial question

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Nov 12 10:48:53 CET 2009

This is not a full answer. To start of with, I'd suggest to use spsample
rather than sample.Spatial (maybe we should not make the latter
available to usage).

rand.points <- spsample(SPDF,n=23,type="hexagonal")
plot(rand.points, add=T,col='red')

The pattern you sketch below (nice ascii art!) might not fit in a square
area.

I'm afraid we overlooked this, and need to modify the documentation to
state that only for a limited number of sampling methods for square
regions the sample size is guaranteed the requested number. And exclude
the hexagonal...
--
Edzer