[R-sig-Geo] underlying covariate data using R package 'spatstat'

Raya A. Pruner rpruner at ufl.edu
Mon Nov 9 21:05:10 CET 2009

I have another question for everyone related to the spatstat
package and model fitting.

A brief background on my question of interest: We are interested
in the spatial aggregation of snowy plover nests on a barrier
island system in response to nest fates.  We hypothesize a greater
level of aggregation in response to a positive nest fate.  Given
this, we are also interested in underlying covariates.  So we have
data for human activity, predator activity, and prey availability.
 We would like to see how these covariates influence the
aggregation of nests as well.  Currently I have been trying to
create a list of images, but was unsuccessful.  So I used based on
what I have been able to figure out and did each separately.  This
was the only way I could figure out in associating a continuous
covariate with a pixel inmage:

nests.extra <- read.csv("CIE 2009 covariates.csv", header = T)
extra.chop <- subset(nests.extra, select = c(Id,
X,Y,Tracks,Predator_T, Invert_Tra))

covH.ppp <- ppp(extra.chop[,2], extra.chop[,3], marks
=extra.chop[,4],window = area1)
human.act=density.ppp(covH.ppp)
human.act

covP.ppp <- ppp(extra.chop[,2], extra.chop[,3], marks
=extra.chop[,5]_T,window = area1)
predator.act=density.ppp(covP.ppp)
predator.act

covI.ppp <- ppp(extra.chop[,2], extra.chop[,3], marks
=extra.chop[,6],window = area1)
invert.act=density.ppp(covI.ppp)
invert.act

using this allows me to fit models such as this using multiple
covariate:
cov2.cord.model=ppm(nestsF.ppp, ~x+y+Tracks+Pred, covariates =
list(Tracks=human.act,Pred=predator.act ))

However, I don???t think it is working right.  I tried to plot
human.act and it doesn???t seem to relate to the data provided in
plotting covH.ppp.  The way that I collected the covariate data
was systematic by counting human and predator tracks every 500m
linearly along the beach.  So I want to be able to look at how the
human intensity value effects nesting aggregation and not the
density of covariate points themselves which is what I think it is
doing currently.  I am interested in the value behind the point.
If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know!

Cheers!!!
Raya

--
Raya A Pruner - Graduate Student