[R-sig-Geo] Distance from given coordinate to margin of kernel

Breitbach, Nils breitbach at uni-mainz.de
Sat Nov 7 19:30:04 CET 2009

Dear Community,

this time I have a rather difficult problem to solve and I failed so far ... I now hope that there is a solution slumbering somewhere here ...

Situation:
I have several polygons which represent seperated areas of one 95 % UD-Kernel homerange calculation. Now I need to find the radius of the smallest possible circle that is able to enclose all areas of this homerange. I was already able calculate the centroid of all points inside all included areas of the homerange as the center for the circle. I now need to calculate the maximum distance from the centroid to the most distant bit of margin from any of the polygons. Any ideas about that? I later have to do it for many homeranges that can include several polygons.

I did about the same for MCPs before, but it is relatively easy in that case because the margins of MCPs are definded by points/coordinates. So it is simply a calculation of the distance from the centroid to most distant point of the points that enclose the MCP area. In the case of the kernel the margins or contour lines do not usually correspond with point.

I hope that any of you has an idea about that ...?!

Cheers,

Nils