[R-sig-Geo] need to create US map with colors by state

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Nov 5 19:49:51 CET 2009

The help page for state.vbm in the TeachingDemos package shows an example of doing this.  The procedure is similar for other maps that can be imported and plotted using the sp and maptools packages.  The tricky part is to make sure that your color specifications line up properly with the data and the polygons, this is most important when a single state is made up of multiple polygons (one advantage of state.vbm is that it is 1 polygon per state).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center