[R-sig-Geo] hat matrix in gwr

Myers, Joshua Joshua.Myers at norfolk.gov
Thu Nov 5 14:54:37 CET 2009

>From my experience, 3055 observations should not make anything crash or
freeze, although it may take a while to complete the run.

A few thoughts:

I would make sure you are running the most up-to-date version of spgwr
(and dependent packages) and R.

Also, I am not an R expert, but it may be that storing the hat matrix is
taking up a lot of memory and causing R to freeze.  It is a long-shot,
but start a clean workspace and try the gwr run again.  Roger, though,
is the one that is more likely to know what is wrong than anyone else.

In addition, make sure you aren't over-fitting your models.  Too many
variables in gwr can cause many problems, not the least of which is the
time it takes to complete the run.