[R-sig-Geo] need a Windows binary for Rcartogram from omegahat

Mark Daniel Ward mdw at purdue.edu
Mon Nov 2 21:19:58 CET 2009

Greetings!  I'm about to have a lab for my students using the Rcartogram
library.

I cannot get the Rcartogram library installed on the Windows PC's,
because they do not have the fftw library pre-installed.  To compile
from source, the students also appear to need to have several auxiliary
pieces of software installed (such as basics, including perl and bash
and gcc).  This is perhaps too much to expect from my students.  (I have
these on my Mac, but they will not have them on their Windows computers.)

Has anyone already built a Windows binary of the Rcartogram library that
includes the fftw as part of the installation?  I checked earlier in the
year on the mailing lists, and the answer was negative, but I'm very
eager to know if anyone can help in this regard.  We are failing
miserably at building the Windows source for Rcartogram.

Thank you in advance for any quick advice that you can offer.  I
appreciate it very much.

P.S.  The computer staff already installed the fftw library for me on
the Mac OS X lab computers using the following commands, suggested
kindly to me on the R for Mac mailing list:
curl -O http://r.research.att.com/libs/fftw-3.2.2-darwin9-bin4.tar.gz
sudo tar fvxz fftw-3.2.2-darwin9-bin4.tar.gz -C /
Afterwards, I am able to successfully install the Rcartogram library
from source using:
install.packages("Rcartogram", repos = "http://www.omegahat.org/R", type
= "source")

Mark