[R-sig-Geo] ESRI Shapefile for EU-25 NUTS-1 and NUTS-2

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed May 27 13:22:03 CEST 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009, stefan.duke at gmail.com wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am looking for *.shp files for the whole EU covering NUTS-1 and
> NUTS-2 level. There have been older posts about that, but these links
> are already outdated. I assume that those files should  be available
> at the Eurostat homepage. But I have rarely seen such an intelligible
> web site (I even failed to register as a user to get access to the
> support section).

Something like:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/region_cities/introduction

-> See also (upper right) GISCO

-> Geodata (left navbar) -> Reference

-> click on Administrative units/Statistical units top left in main pane

or directly:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/gisco/popups/references/Administrative units and Statistical units1

though you are right, it isn't easy to find. The 2003 offerings are only
in personal geodatabase format, the 2006 in both shapefile and personal
geodatabase format.

> I assume that such files should be easily and freely available. If I
> am wrong, please correct me. If I am right, please send me a link.

You are wrong, but the link is there. Note the conditions. There is a
loooooong running campaign to convince European public mapping agencies to
free their data, with little effect so far. Nationally, the statistics
agencies are better at releasing boundary files than the mapping agencies.
Your assumption is rational, but things take time.

Hope this helps,

Roger