[R-sig-Geo] contour data

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Tue May 26 20:22:59 CEST 2009

I have a DEM (2 meter spacing, IMG file format) and I'd like to create
contour vector data output, shapefiles would be great.  I just
downloaded R 2.9.0.  Looking for more info, I keep finding references to
the contour function in the grahics package, but that seems like it only
produces plots instead of output vectors.

I know the sp and spatstat packages are good for various types of
geospatial analysis.  Is one of these 'the next generation' of the
other?  Would you recommend one or the other specifically for contour
generation from a DEM?   (My platform is Windows.)  Thanks.

- John

PS - At first pass, I'm going to give gdal_contour
(http://www.gdal.org/gdal_contour.html) a try.  I'd really like to see
how this compares with some method within R.

I'm also looking at SAGA for the R interface options.  I just installed
the most recent QGIS with the ManageR plugin to see what tools that
brings in.  And GRASS is always an option (either through QGIS or
standalone) but I don't quite understand how mapsets work yet.

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware
227 Academy St, Newark DE 19716-7501
Tel: (302) 831-3584
Email: john.callahan at udel.edu
http://www.dgs.udel.edu