[R-sig-Geo] nearest neighbour list from distance matrix, etc.

Wakefield, Ewan ewdw at bas.ac.uk
Tue May 26 16:10:57 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I have been constructing simple linear models of seabird colony size as a function of habitat availability. Given that my data obviously contain a spatial component, I would like to check whether both my response and residuals exhibit any spatial auto-correlation. I understand that I can test for this using Moran's I, calculated for pairs of colonies separated into different distance classes. However, this presents a number of problems:

1. All of the distance based methods I have come across for defining nearest neighbours require a matrix of point coordinates. The species I am working with do not fly over land, so the Euclidean or greater circle distance between colonies is not really appropriate. Hence, I have computed a matrix of the 'at sea' distance between all colonies. Is there any way to pass this to a function that defines nearest neighbours?

2. I only have data for 48 colonies and they are clustered in space. As such, I suspect I will end up with either many distance classes with none or very few pairs of colonies in them or just one or two distance classes with a larger number of pairs of colonies. Is there any rule of thumb for how many data are required for a reasonable estimate of Moran's I? Indeed, is Moran's I even appropriate in this case?

Sorry not to include any code, but that doesn't seem appropriate to my question.

Kind regards,

Ewan Wakefield (PhD Student)
British Antarctic Survey
High Cross