[R-sig-Geo] spplot - polygons with colored borderlines

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue May 26 14:36:01 CEST 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Ingo Holz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using function spplot (library sp) to plot polygons:
>
> spplot(SPDF, "var", col.regions=topo.colors(100))
>
> SPDF is a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame
>
> Some of my polygons are very small and you can not see the color of the
> polygon (only the black borderlines).
>
> I could use
>
> spplot(as(SPDF, "SpatialLinesDataFrame"), "variable1",
> col.regions=topo.colors(100))
>
> to get colored borderlines.
>
> Is there a possibility to get filled colored polygons with borderlines
> in the same color?

Although it isn't obvious, you use the col= argument passed through to
grid.polygon() used internally - see ?gpar after loading the gris package.
You'll find that col="transparent" is OK:

library(rgdal)
scot_BNG <- readOGR(system.file("vectors", package = "rgdal")[1],
   "scot_BNG")
spplot(scot_BNG, "SMR")
spplot(scot_BNG, "SMR", col="transparent")

Hope this helps,

Roger