[R-sig-Geo] [Soc] GRASS module for kriging - call for users [was: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 69, Issue 21]

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon May 25 15:21:15 CEST 2009

Ebrahim Jahanshiri wrote:
> for kriging a preliminary analysis is important. We should know if the data
> has trend or how are the ouliers? should we remove them or not. Some of the
> kriging techniques like universal kriging create very odd values at some
> points if we dont deal with the data frist hand before kriging. I hope that
> we can come up with the software that does all this by itselft ( some sort
> of decision maker like AI). I hope to see this kind of sotware pretty soon
> and I wish it be open source.

I agree that this would be nice.

We discussed this issue quite lengthy in the intamap consortium (see
http://www.intamap.org/ , and the wiki as well -- also interesting for
the SoC project). We concluded that for a generic automatic
interpolation algorithm users don't want this to be done automatically,
because no automatic algorithm can decide whether an outlier indicates a
measurement error or a disaster. Remember the ozone layer was overlooked
for many years because an automatic "outlier" algorithm was built in the
data processing chain.

Only if your application is domain specific you can do something useful,
e.g. use physical limits -- soil moisture content can never exceed 100%;
content variables need to be non-negative.

Of course you can add options, and build optional outlier filters. Then,
how should outliers be marked? Is there any agreement on this? What
would be the defaults for necessary parameters?

Automatic trend detection is another issue that is very interesting.

--
Edzer Pebesma
8333081, Fax: +49 251 8339763 http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/
http://www.springer.com/978-0-387-78170-9 e.pebesma at wwu.de