[R-sig-Geo] [Soc] GRASS module for kriging - call for users [was: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 69, Issue 21]

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at studenti.uninsubria.it
Mon May 25 14:05:08 CEST 2009

Edzer Pebesma escribió:
> I believe that many interpolation problems "out there" are simple, and
> can be solved using geostatistics with a "finish" or "interpolate"
> button. A question I find interesting is whether this button should
> always do its best, or should it be so clever to warn the user in case a
> problem is not "that simple", and what the criteria are for this.

Hello Edzer and others that follow this thread,

as suggested by Ebrahim, most users would appreciate a tool able to
quietly fit the analysis to the data oddities, but surely I wouldn't
implement nor use a tool that automagically gives acceptable results
without tracking of the optimisation steps. I have some experience with
ArcView's Animal Movement[0]: I tested the tool in edge cases, where
algorithms *have to* crash, and it always succeeded without
explanations.
Sincerely speaking, I'm not able to provide such intelligence to my
module in the near future. If we plan to add this functionality later, I
guess it will be good both to log the procedure and/or let user interact
and understand what it is happening in any moment.

Apropos of warning users about possibile difficulties, I think that the
cleverness needed to give such advices is quite hard to implement, but
not impossible. (/me thinks of strategy-missing hints in card games...).

> Of course this SoC project is about an "interpolate" button using open
> source software, so the user is always able to find out every detail
> behind it. But will she or he actually do this in a non-simple case?

I suppose the users to know what they're doing - R and GRASS users are
already aware that the tools they use can give meaningless answers and
it's up to them to use commands consciously. If users want to use
v.autokrige2 just to try it out, they will get the result of a standard
procedure. To obtain something better, they should know how to use the
'advanced' options.

> As of your claim that no two geostatistical packages provide the same
> result, as a more optimistic person I'd like to provide some
> counter-evidence; please run:
[cut]

> I'd be more than happy if someone could repeat this, or another example,
> with ArcGIS or other software, of course.

Marked on the todo list, stay in touch :)

thank you very much,
Anne

[0] http://www.absc.usgs.gov/glba/gistools/animal_mvmt.htm