[R-sig-Geo] Finding the county shapefile polygon closest to along-lat position

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri May 22 10:44:38 CEST 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009, Pilar Tugores Ferra wrote:

> Dear Joe,
> Maybe you could use a similar process that Marcelino suggested to me
> yesterday in order to compute the shortest distance from points to a
> polyline. You need to 1)convert your point data to ppp object in
> spatstat, 2)coerce your polygon data to a psp object in spatstat.
> 3)nncross between the two.
> You'll get "dist" - the nearest neighbour distance between the two
> patterns and "which" the nearest neighbour index of the second pattern.
> Maybe it won't be so straightforward to know which ids of the coerced
> polyline correspond to each polygon but I am not sure about this point.

Thanks, Pilar!

The only possible weakness in this might be that the input points and
polygon boundaries are in geographical, not projected (planar)
coordinates, so if there are differences in distances on the plane and
great circle distances, they might lead to the "outside" points being
assigned to the wrong county.

Depending on how many there are, you might consider two alternatives, one
visual inspection in Google Earth or similar (export the "outside" points
with IDs as one KML, and the county boundaries you are using with
writeOGR() in rgdal (or use those built into GE)); the other would be to
use the closeness to the label points of the counties of the "outside"
points - coordinates() of the SpatialPolygons* object retrieves these, so
looping over the "outside" points in spDistsN1() in sp with longlat=TRUE
would give the great circle distances.

Of course, the underlying issue is why they are outside - is this a datum
shift problem (counties in NAD27 and points in NAD83/WGS84)? If you fixed
that, they would match better.

Hope this helps,

Roger