[R-sig-Geo] Interpolation / smoothing of points (without raster grids)

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue May 12 11:36:48 CEST 2009

mike.elliott at openreach.co.uk wrote:
> Hello - can anyone suggest functions/packages that allow interpolation /
> smoothing of point data (without using raster grids)? i.e. which give
> the results at the original point locations.
>
> Many thanks, Mike Elliott.

If you could tell us more in detail what you want to do, we could offer
you more guidance. To add to the promotion of packages that we wrote
ourselves (edzer :)), you can also use automap, a package for automatic
interpolation based on gstat and sp (two other packages). For
cross-validation (if this is what you need) the following script will do
the trick:

library(automap)
# Load the data
data(meuse)
coordinates(meuse) = ~x+y
data(meuse.grid)
gridded(meuse.grid) = ~x+y

# Perform cross-validation
kr.cv = autoKrige.cv(log(zinc)~1, meuse, model = c("Exp"))
kr_dist.cv = autoKrige.cv(log(zinc)~sqrt(dist), meuse,
            model = c("Exp"))
kr_dist_ffreq.cv = autoKrige.cv(log(zinc)~sqrt(dist)+ffreq,
           meuse, model = c("Exp"))
# Compare the results
compare.cv(kr.cv, kr_dist.cv, kr_dist_ffreq.cv)
compare.cv(kr.cv, kr_dist.cv, kr_dist_ffreq.cv,
           bubbleplots = TRUE)
compare.cv(kr.cv, kr_dist.cv, kr_dist_ffreq.cv,
           bubbleplots = TRUE, col.names = c("OK","UK1","UK2"))
compare.cv(kr.cv, kr_dist.cv, kr_dist_ffreq.cv,
           bubbleplots = TRUE, col.names = c("OK","UK1","UK2"),
           plot.diff = TRUE)

automap is available from CRAN.

cheers and good luck,
Paul