[R-sig-Geo] Rotating hexagonal grid

Dr. Gerald Jurasinski gerald.jurasinski at uni-rostock.de
Mon May 11 09:31:40 CEST 2009

Dear List,

There is a nice implementation to create hexagonal grids in the sp
package as an option to the spsample method. Many thanks to Edzer for
this. In the ASDAR book on page 137 it is written: "Note that an
alternative hexagonal representation is obtained by rotating this grid
90°; we will not further consider that here". That's a pity because
that is what I would like to do. So can you give a  hint on how to
obtain grid rotations? In general and specifically for hexagonal grids
(I guess it is the same)? And is it possible to rotate the grid easily
with whatever angle wanted? Maybe it would be interesting to include
the grid rotation as an example in the spsample help?

Thank you very much
Best regards
Gerald

——————————————————

Dr. Gerald Jurasinski
Landscape Ecology and Site Evaluation
Institute for Management of Rural Areas
Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
University of Rostock
Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 6
18059 Rostock
Germany