[R-sig-Geo] testing for spatial variability of the parameters in GWR with R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed May 6 20:34:50 CEST 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Marie CHARRU wrote:

> Thank you Roger.
> I did'nt know what this LMZ.F3GWR.test() function was for. It seems that
> it is what I need, but when I try to run it, I have an error message
> coming up :
>
> /Error: cannot allocate vector of size 52.5 Mo.
>
> /I read on the R-sig-geo list that this could be due to the size of my
> dataset (3710 points) and that there was no way around... In that case,
> how to test big datasets ? The tests I'm doing now concern just one part
> of the total sample, so the problem will get bigger when I use all my data !
> Would a random selection of points in the dataset be suitable for
> testing the spatial variability of the parameters ?

All the tests on GWR involve operations on dense n by n matrices,
which means that multiple versions of these matrices will be in memory. It
is possible that LMZ.F3GWR.test() could be altered to use less memory, but
even so this may not help enough. To check smaller data sets, you would
need random tiles of the data (so that the relative postions are
preserved).

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no