[R-sig-Geo] EPSG codes for LO31 WGS84 projection data

Wesley Roberts wroberts at csir.co.za
Wed May 6 09:14:09 CEST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I have a data set which is projected using the following projection, Hartebeeshoek94 Projection Gauss Conform LO31. This is a local projection used in South Africa. So far, I have only been able to find the EPSG code for the projection from http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/2054/ . I am actually looking for the Proj4 definition as the library in rgdal does not contain any information regarding the projection. Using the following command I found no information for the specified code

> poly <- readShapePoly("PCA_AreaOne_2_water_EPSG.shp", IDvar="cat", proj4string=CRS("+init=epsg:2054"))
Error in CRS("+init=epsg:2054") : no options found in 'init' file

Could someone please provide me with the full proj4 definition as the spatial reference site does not seem to have it.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Wesley

Wesley Roberts MSc.
Researcher: Earth Observation (Ecosystems)
Natural Resources and the Environment
CSIR
Tel: +27 (21) 888-2490
Fax: +27 (21) 888-2693

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."
- Chinese proverb