[R-sig-Geo] Reading Shapefile from 600 directories

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jun 23 11:22:20 CEST 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, cheong yoon ling wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am wondering how to read shapefiles from 600 respective folders at
> one shot? The name of the shapefile is the same thoroughly. The name
> of the 600 folders is indexed in a main autocad .dwg file.

If you can read the list of folders in appropriate software, and pass it
into R as a character vector, yes, of course. Note that the .dwg formats
are proprietary and cannot be read in R - can you discover the folder
names in any other way? Are there shapefiles with the same name in other
folders, or can you just search the file system for the target shapefile
name? Once you have the vector of folder names, just loop over them using
your choice of shapefile reading function and prefered object class in R
(packages rgdal, maptools, maybe others too). Your choice will depend on
why you want to read them in.

Roger