[R-sig-Geo] Spatial Regression

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jun 19 18:29:51 CEST 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, youngbin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. While conducting spatial regression models, R does not directly provide
> the Rsquared values. Does anybody have an idea how to get the Pseudo
> Rsquared values in spatial regression models?

The models are fitted with maximum likelihood, so R squared is not a very
suitable measure, although I'm sure you can find various ways of computing
them. On the other hand, you can also get the AIC and log-likelihood for
OLS and some other models, and they also provide a way of comparing
models.

> 2. Regarding spatial regression models, how to conduct the general spatial
> model which both the lag and error are included?

This is not provided, and is not even well understood in spatial
statistics (there are very complicated interactions between the lag and
error components). Spatial Durbin models do provide a general structure
within which both lag and error models nest. If both spatial coefficients
are significant in a general model, you know with little chance of mistake
that your model is badly misspecified, I'm afraid. The only possible
alternative is that you have well-motivated behavioural models for both
processes and their interactions.

Hope this helps,

Roger