[R-sig-Geo] Converting SpatialPointsDataFrame to SpatialGridDataFrame

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jun 11 15:50:52 CEST 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> Hi
>
> I spend the whole day with it, trying grass, gdal, R, but was not successful
> (and I know it can be done...).
>
> I have a shape file and a raster file, both in the same projection and in
> thew same area (shape file completely overlapping the raster) and I want to
> "burn" the values from one column in the attribute table of the shape file
> (DNSTY) into the raster.
>
> I am doing the following:
>
> ####
> library(sp)
> library(maptools)
> library(raster) # <- this might work as well. I also have the shape file as
> a .csv file, including coordinates and DNSTY
>
> s <- readShapePoints("./plants.shp")
> r <- readAsciiGrid("./plants.asc")
>
> ## and now?
> ####
>
> I seem to remember that it works by using overlay(), but I don't remember
> how.\

Please see the thread started by Karla Falk yesterday. overlay() will tell
you which raster cells the points fall in, but you cannot just "burn"
across unless you know definitely that hit raster cells have only one hit,
otherwise you'll need tapply (or table for counting) to tally the point
values by hit cell. I think that is the step you need to add. It'll take
some attempts to find a recipe that works for your specific case, it
usually does, but then works.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no