[R-sig-Geo] convert point data to count data

Karla Falk karlafalk at trentu.ca
Thu Jun 11 01:56:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

  I have a data set of points that I would like to convert to grid cell counts.  Ultimately I would like to end up with a table that has an x-y coordinate for each grid cell, and the count of the # of points falling in each grid cell.  Does anyone know a way to do this in R?  I have been playing around with using quadratcounts in spatstat, and the overlay methods in sp, but with both I can't figure out how to get an output table of the cell counts (including counts of zero's) with the corresponding x-y utm of the grid cell.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Karla