[R-sig-Geo] opening .gdb files

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 12:40:49 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Mark Trinder<Mark.Trinder at rpsgroup.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to open gdb files in R?
>
> If so what is the best package to use?
>
> I simply want to extract the location data from some gdb files, so
> nothing fancy!

 What's a gdb file? It could be a "GardenBoss Design" file apparently
(maybe you want to do kriging in your vegetable patch?). More likely
it's an "MapSource GPS Waypoint Database" or a "ArcView Geodatabase".

 Also, it seems that Garmin use .gdb for some of their data, but maybe
that's the same as a MapSource GPS Waypoint Database....

 A file extension is not a unique identifier of a file's type!

 Barry