[R-sig-Geo] Spatial regression

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Jun 6 19:24:24 CEST 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Adrian Toti wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In R, the function lm.LMtests is used to select which spatial model fits
> better the data, an error or lag one. It looks to me that there are some
> ?limitations? using this function like being constraint to use only
> row-standardized spatial weights and it does not support weighted lm object
> as argument. Also it is not helpful when both LM tests (LMerr and LMlag) are
> significant (let?s say their robust forms are not).
>
> So my question is: is there another way or approach to select between a
> spatial error and lag model?

As you appreciate, the two models are not nested, so an LR test is not
appropriate, and comparing the AIC values probably not either (although a
large difference in AIC should not be disregarded). Neither errorsarlm()
not lagsarlm() use weights - this is only possible in spautolm(), which is
an alternative implementation of the same model as errorsarlm(). So I'm
not sure how you could fit a weighted lag model.

There is a paper by Kelejian in Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences
in 2008 on a spatial J-test, but this relies on feasible GM and spatial
TSLS estimates, which most often also assume row standardisation and do
not permit weights. A recent paper by Burridge and Fingleton (from a
meeting earlier this week) discusses some alternatives:

http://sew2009.univ-fcomte.fr/english/Burridge_Fingleton.pdf

but these are too fresh to be coded and packaged yet (and are also in the
spatial econometrics view of the world).

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no