[R-sig-Geo] how to show polygons from e00 file (Grauss-Krüger coordinatensystem) in Google map?

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed Jun 3 09:45:45 CEST 2009

Hi,

You have to do two things, read your data and export it to a format for
Google Earth.

The Cran Spatial Taskview suggests the RArcInfo package to read the e00
files into R. I'm not sure into what format they are loaded. Maybe
readOGR from the rgdal package can also read e00 files, depending on the
GDAL/OGR version you have available.

If you have your vector file in an R session in a SpatialPolygons object
(see the sp-package), the following code shows an example how to export
the data to a format that Google Earth can read:

library(rgdal)
data(meuse)
coordinates(meuse) = ~x+y
proj4string(meuse) = CRS("+init=epsg:28992")
proj4string(meuse)
meuse.ll = spTransform(meuse, CRS("+proj=longlat"))
writeOGR(meuse.ll, "meuse.kml", "meuse.kml", driver="KML")

I'm not sure if the RArcInfo reads the e00 file into a SpatialPolygons
object (Virgillio?), or if it is easy to convert the output from
RArcInfo to an sp-class. rgdal always reads data into an sp-class, but
I'm not sure if this supports the e00 format.

I hope this e-mail provides you with some clues to work with,

cheers and good luck with your thesis,
Paul

Jian Li wrote:

> Dear r-sig-geo Members,
>
> recently, I've been trying to display the information from a e00 file (Grauss-Krüger coordinatensystem) in Google map but until now no success.
>
> I would be very appreciated if anyone can help me to solve the problem which directly concerns my master thesis.
>
> e00 file is under http://jaguar.biologie.hu-berlin.de/~jian/phpMysqlGoogle/nat.e00 available
>
> Thank you in Advanced
>
> Best Regards,
> Jian
>
> check out the rest of the Windows Live™.
> More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox.
>  More than messages
> Show them the way! Add maps and directions to your party invites.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/products/events.aspx
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography