[R-sig-Geo] ASCII grids as spatialgridframe

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jul 23 15:06:04 CEST 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Els Ducheyne wrote:

> Dear all
> sorry to post this question, but I have been looking across multiple fora and
> haven't found the answer
>
> I am trying to read ascii-grids in R using the shapefile - read.asciigrid

This is not a shapefile at all.

> I have found that this is of class SpatialGridDataFrame
> I would like to combine this with a set of grids that are already in the
> workspace but when i use the [[<-option I always get the following error
> What am I doing wrong? I am not using rgdal, because of a linking error that
> I cannot seem to overcome - even though the installation of rgdal and all its
> dependencies didn't yield an erro
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> achandata<-read.asciigrid("achan.asc")

Preferably use readGDAL() in rgdal, and note that the equivalent
readAsciiGrid() in maptools allows for ESRI's locale oddities while the
version in sp does not. But in general just use readGDAL().

>> summary(achandata)
> Object of class SpatialGridDataFrame
> Coordinates:
>          min    max
> coords.x1 -2.5 1002.5
> coords.x2 -2.5  502.5
> Is projected: NA
> proj4string : [NA]
> Number of points: 2
> Grid attributes:
> cellcentre.offset cellsize cells.dim
> 1                 0        5       201
> 2                 0        5       101
> Data attributes:
>  Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
> 0.0000  0.0000  0.3000  0.7088  0.9000  6.2000
>> grids[["achan"]]<-achandata

You are trying to assign a SpatialGridDataFrame object to a column in
grids, another SpatialGridDataFrame. Why not use the cbind() method for
these objects, for example:

grids1 <- cbind(grids, achandata)
names(grids) <- c("elev", "grad", "achan")

Alternatively, but more error-prone is:

an <- names(achandata)
grids$achan <- achandata[[an[1]]]

- the name is most likely "band1", but we don't know.

Hope this helps,

Roger