[R-sig-Geo] DEM in R

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Wed Jul 22 09:58:05 CEST 2009

Dear Craig,

Plotting of DEMs and geomorphometric analysis is possible in R. For example, to derive slope/aspect,
you could use this script:

https://www.msu.edu/~ashton/classes/866/notes/lab12/slope.R
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2009-July/006088.html)

Here is an example of a perspective plot:
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=27

But you will soon find out that R can not really work well with large maps (and you do not want to
re-implement all algorithms for DEM analysis for scratch), so you should also consider using some
open source GIS (that can be used in combination with R):

"Analysis of DEMs in R+ILWIS/SAGA"
http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Analysis_of_DEMs_in_R%2BILWIS/SAGA

"Geomorphometry in R+SAGA+ILWIS+GRASS"
http://geomorphometry.org/R.asp

Welcome to R-sig-geo!

T. Hengl

PS: Your e-mail footer says that you are sending "confidential information", that we should "not
disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it" and that if this is true we should "notify
the Department of Agriculture and Food, WA immediately". Funny.