[R-sig-Geo] creating irregularly-shaped grids for kriging

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon Jul 20 10:40:19 CEST 2009

Hi Craig,

The easiest way is to get a polygon of you study area and than use
spsample() to create a grid. You could also make a convex hull using the
chull command and spsample from that. Depending on your configuration of
points this might be an option. You could try autoKrige from the automap
pacakge to get an idea of how this last option looks, it uses a convex
hull to create a new_data object if it is not given.

library(automap)
data(meuse)
coordinates(meuse) = ~x+y

kr = autoKrige(meuse)
plot(kr)

cheers,
Paul

Scanlan, Craig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to krige data that is irregularly spaced within irregularly
> shaped areas (agricultural fields).
>
> At present, I am creating a regular grid for newdata in
> krige(data,newdata....) by
>
> x.range <- as.integer(range(a2 at coords[,1]))
> y.range <- as.integer(range(a2 at coords[,2]))
> grd <- expand.grid(x=seq(from=x.range[1], to=x.range[2], by=10),
> y=seq(from=y.range[1], to=y.range[2], by=10) )
>
> I have not been able to find a method to trim the newdata grid to the
> same shape as the original data - is this possible?
>
> The task I am trying to achieve is the same as creating meuse.grid from
> meuse data.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig.
>

> This e-mail and files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information
> intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is
> not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you received this
> e-mail in error you must
> (a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it;
> (b) please notify the Department of Agriculture and Food, WA immediately by return e-mail to the sender;
> (c) please delete the original e-mail.
>
> This email has been successfully scanned by
> McAfee Anti-Virus software.
> Department of Agriculture and Food WA
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Drs. Paul Hiemstra