[R-sig-Geo] rgdal pckg: Convert LL to UTM

Steve Hong seunghong at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 10 18:55:34 CEST 2009

Dear List,

Thanks again for answering my question. I was able to convert LL to UTM using 'rgdal' package. Below is the code I used.

library(rgdal)

my.data2 <- read.delim("clipboard", header=T)
my.data <- SpatialPoints(my.data, proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84"))
my.data.utm <- spTransform(my.data, CRS("+proj=utm +zone=15 +ellps=WGS84"))

My second questions are:

1. How can I see the list of projections available in R beside WGS84?
2. If I want to add/import a projection not available in R, what am I supposed to do?

I would appreciate any suggestion with example.

Thank you!!

Steve