[R-sig-Geo] Slope and Aspect calculations in R

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Fri Jul 10 16:06:30 CEST 2009

Dear Josh, Thomas,

I typically use R+SAGA (R on top!) for such type of analysis (and I do have access to all operating
system/software). There must be some good reasons that I am using SAGA (speed, stability, rich
geomorphometry module etc.)! So do not give up so easy on SAGA.

I especially like that SAGA is fairly efficient in processing big grids, and the commands are rather
compact. For example to reproject grids from one to another proj4string, you only need to set e.g.:

> rsaga.geoprocessor(lib="pj_proj4", 2, param=list(SOURCE_PROJ=paste('"', proj4string(dem25m), '"',
sep=""), TARGET_PROJ="\"+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84\"", SOURCE="TWI.sgrd", TARGET="TWI_ll.sgrd",
TARGET_TYPE=0, INTERPOLATION=0))

*see http://www.geomorphometry.org/R.asp

I remember that somebody did manage to set-up SAGA also under Mac OS
(http://www.saga-gis.uni-goettingen.de/html/index.php?module=pnForum&func=viewtopic&topic=458), but
I also remember that most of students on our GEOSTAT course used Windows under Mac OS to run SAGA. I
am sure that it should be possible to compile SAGA under Mac OS, but somebody needs to put some
effort to bridge this gap (check also with Olaf Conrad).

Here is more discussion about the same topic from few months ago:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2009-April/005418.html

cheers,

Tom Hengl