[R-sig-Geo] Point pattern analysis | Kernel estimation and Google Maps

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Feb 28 20:45:22 CET 2009

2009/2/28 Michel Barbosa <cicaboo at gmail.com>:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm having troubles with matching the Google Map's bounding box with the
> window of plot.ppp (spatstat). My coordinates are in longitude / latitude.
> Ultimately, I'd like to have the bounding box of my Google Maps map to be
> equal to the rectangle (window) in R. I've seen suggestions that UTM would
> be a better way to go. Could you provide me with tips / ideas to tackle this
> problem? My intent is to have the Kernel Estimation png overlayed on my
> Google Maps map.

 I've read this about ten times to try and figure out what you want to do!

 Do you want to generate a grid in R and overlay it on Google Maps,
using the Google Maps API? And then is the problem because of the axes
and labels on the png produced from the R graphics device?

 In which case you are probably better off using one of the functions
in the rgdal package to create a georeferenced raster file - that has
no axes or titles etc.

Google Maps uses lat-long with the EPSG:4326 coordinate system, so if
your data is in lat-long with the EPSG:4326 coordinate system then you
don't need any transformation.

Barry