[R-sig-Geo] R: help to creating a points subset with R: Cut points shapefaile with a buffer polygon shapefile

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Thu Feb 26 12:00:59 CET 2009

Hi,

Please also send your replies to the mailing list, and not only to me
personally. Other people might have better ideas than I have.

If your shapefile is too big for your memory, try to cut it up and do
your analysis on a subset of both your point data and polygon data. And
please provide us with information on you system, is it 64 bit or 32
bit, how much memory, which version of R, which operating system. Look
at the sessionInfo command to get some of this info. To get more hints
as how to write good posts, please read the posting guide for the main R
list, R-help.

cheers,
Paul

Alessandro schreef:
> Thanks for your help and Sorry for my ineptitude
>
> Do you tell about "Methods for spatially overlay-ing points (grids) and
> polygons layers" or "spatial overlay for points grids and polygons"?
> I had see in help(sp) but, sorry, It's not very help clear for not expertise
> like me. I have this two shapefile (point and buffer) but the point is very
> hug dataset and read in maptools is not possible (memory crash down).
>
> Canopy (points)
> Buffer (polygon)
>
> I know that I must get a spatialPointsDataFrame (=canopy) then load the
> Polygon (=buffer), but after "I am in the middle of Ocean with a small ship"
>
> Thanks again if you could help me
>
> Alessandro

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography