[R-sig-Geo] topographic maps

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Wed Feb 25 16:24:48 CET 2009

Dear all,

I have a tiny problem, I'd like to draw a map showing topographic
information (like in a normal atlas) and on top of this map some
polygons, points, etc. given by long, lat values.

I tried the geomapdata ETOPO5 in conjuction with GEOTOPO which
actually works fine but the point is I'm dealing with maps displaying
Eurasia and this takes really time (and memory) to plot [I also set
GEOTOPTO's npoints to 5 bustill the same].

Then I tried to use geotiff via readOGR which also works but the same
here, it takes too much time and I have to produce 116 maps.

Is there any elegant way to have a geo-referenced image as background
and then to draw polygons etc. on top of it? As I said I'm dealing
with Eurasia thus the resolution is not the big problem.

I'd be happy to get any hint.

Thanks!

--Hans