[R-sig-Geo] cross validation gstat

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Feb 24 10:20:59 CET 2009

Dear all,

Im my opinion it makes sense to use repeated k-fold cross validation. The distribution of the statistics yields their confidence intervals.

I will try that during the next few months on a dataset with about 2500 data points. The current plan is to repeat 1000 times a 10-fold cross validation. Or is k = 10 to small? But maybe I will have to downsize this if it requires too much computing time.

The variogram re-estimation is something I had on my mind. I'll send Edzer the code if I manage to get it working.

Cheers,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics, methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey