[R-sig-Geo] R-squared value for Spatial regressions

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Feb 21 15:21:22 CET 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Christina Qi Li wrote:

> Dear List members,
>
> It's a quite basic question, but I cannot figure it out myself: How to
> get the R-squared value for a spatial lag regression, or a spatial error
> regression?
>
> The default return for command "lagsarlm" or "errorsarlm" only returns
> AIC value, not R-squared or Adjusted R-squared value.

Why basic? These are not defined for these kinds of models in the same way
as for least squares, so use the AIC instead (uses both the log likelihood
and adjusts for the number of included variables). You can fake R-squared
via the correlation between the response and the fitted values, but it
isn't what you expect.

Hope this helps,

Roger