[R-sig-Geo] Masking interpolations

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon Feb 16 09:38:48 CET 2009

...in addition:

You could also use AcrGIS, QGis or another GIS package to make a polygon
that delineates the areas in which you want to interpolate. You can then
use spsample() like I showed you in the previous mail. Making this
polygon can also be done in R using spplot and grid.locator, if you are
interested I can send you some example code.

Another option is to calculate the square grid you make using
expand.grid, perform the interpolation and throw away any points that
are above a certain kriging variance (that you have to choose). This
would be a good solution if you need to automatically interpolate a lot
of lidar sets that differ a lot in configuration of the points. it is
not the most elegant and efficient solution though :).

cheers,
Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra