[R-sig-Geo] Vector to raster?

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Sun Feb 15 00:50:52 CET 2009

Thanks -- another few questions along these lines:

1) Is there any way to determine the type of vector file in advance of
defining a layer name?  How can I list layer names affiliated with a
given vector (it seems to be part of ogrinfo from the main gdal release,
but when i do a ogrinfo(filename) I get yelled at to feed it a layer
name first).
2) Is there a way to tell the feature type (point, polygon, line,
etc...) of a readOGR object?
3) How do I get a polygon/line's node coordinates?  Using
coordinate(readOGR(...)) I only get a single coordinates associated with
each polygon/line in the vector.

Thanks!

--j

Hengl, T. wrote:

> If you work with large shapes/grids, try also SAGA:
>
> > rsaga.get.usage(lib="grid_gridding", 3)
> SAGA CMD 2.0.3
> library path:   C:/Progra~1/saga_vc/modules
> library name:   grid_gridding
> module name :   Shapes to Grid
>
> But before SAGA, you need to reproject the polygons first (if necessary).
>
> see also some examples from:
> http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Export_maps_to_GE#Polygon_maps
>
> HTH
>
> Tom Hengl

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar
Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing (CSTARS)
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
The Barn, Room 250N
Davis, CA 95616