[R-sig-Geo] FW: Interpolcation option: IDW or OK?

Tomislav Hengl T.Hengl at uva.nl
Mon Feb 9 16:55:51 CET 2009

Dear Yong Li,

I hope you will not mind me joining this interesting discussion.

If there is no evident spatial auto-correlation structure (pure nugget effect), IDW/OK are as good
as randomly drawing a value from the global (normal) distribution. You can even test this using
cross-validation! In principle, there is no justification to use distance-based interpolators if
there is no evident spatial auto-correlation structure (maybe only the moving-window kriging, as
implemented in e.g. Vesper, or stratified kriging techniques could discover some local spatial
dependence). In addition, IDW should be considered an outdated technique, applicable only for
situations where the variogram is close to linear (e.g. elevation data and similar smooth surfaces).

What you should really consider using are the globaly available free maps/images (e.g. MODIS EVI,
SRTM DEM parameters etc.), and then see if you can explain some of the variability in your target
variable.

But there will always be situations (especially in DSM applications) where you simply can not
explain much of the target variability, neither with auxiliary maps nor with spatial
auto-correlation. What to do then? I guess you simply have to collect more samples / more auxiliary
maps and then try again.

HTH

T. Hengl

See also:

Compendium of Global datasets:
http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Global_datasets

Regression-kriging:
http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Regression-kriging

Pebesma, E., 2006. The Role of External Variables and GIS Databases in Geostatistical Analysis.
Transactions in GIS, 10(4): 615-632.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9671.2006.01015.x